The Outhwaite Homes are located at E. 46th & E.55th Sts. between Central & Quincy Aves. in Cleveland, Ohio.
Initially public housing in Cleveland was exclusively for white individuals and families. Later developments, like Cleveland’s Outhwaite Homes, were reserved for African Americans. Overtly racist public housing policies were repealed by the end of WW2. Though, segregationist attitudes persisted well into the 1970s and most of the public housing developments on Cleveland's westside remained white only. Public housing in the U.S. was deliberately segregated imposing a legacy that contributes to present day racial and socio-economic divisions in residential America.
The Outhwaite Homes were built between 1935 and 1937, consisting of 579 units. Designed by Maier & Walsh Architects, the low slung brick buildings were and are still arranged around large courtyards. An extension was completed in 1942, adding 442 units.