Tomlinson Hall, exterior, east side and south sides
1 2024-09-27T15:28:07+00:00 Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1d 9 1 Tomlinson Hall, exterior, east side and south sides, 1947-1949 2024-09-27T15:28:07+00:00 CWRU Archives public domain Tomlinson Hall 00128 1947-1949 Rebman Photo Service [Places] Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1dThis page is referenced by:
-
1
2025-11-22T00:21:28+00:00
Tomlinson Hall
2
Tomlinson Hall
plain
2025-11-22T00:35:55+00:00
northwest part of Case campusLocation
Description
3-story building; footings, foundation walls, floors and roof of reinforced concrete; exterior walls of Indiana limestone backed with brick; main entrance trimmed with Minnesota Pearl Grey Granite, containing student union, library, offices, dining facilities
"The Searcher," the figure above the front door, was described by the architect as "ever searching for new things in the world and in science that makes for a better world in which all society may live and prosper."
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Formal Names
Tomlinson Hall
Named For
George A. Tomlinson, friend
Other Names
Tomlinson Memorial Student Union BuildingConstructed
?-9/1947
Architect
Walker and Weeks
General Contractor
The Albert M. Higley Company
Financing
Gift of $550,000 or $640,000 from Laura Tomlinson, friend
Occupants
1947-1949+: Case student and faculty groups
Uses
1947-1949+: Recreation, library, offices, dining facilities
Ceremonies
Dedication: 5/2/1948
Trivia
Last Case student center
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building