Case Western Reserve University Archives

Thwing Hall

Location
11111 Euclid Avenue

Description
3 stories plus basement; 45,185 square feet, containing classrooms, offices, library
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.

Formal Name
Thwing Hall

Named For
Charles F. Thwing, WRU president

Other Names
Euclid Avenue, 11111
Excelsior Club


Cost   
1929: $650,000

Financing
1929: Loan
Occupants
1929-1933: WRU
1934-1949+?: University Library
1934-1949+?: School of Library Science

Uses
1929-1933: ?
1934-1949+: Classes, offices, library
Bought
1929: from Excelsior Club Board of Governors
Ceremonies
Dedication: 11/9/1934

Trivia
First WRU university-wide library building
Alterations and Modifications

Description
1934: Converted building to library

Financing
Gift of $25,000 from the Case Library Trustees  

This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.

Previous Building   A-Z List   Next Building | Previous Building   Chronological List   Next Building

This page references: