Case Western Reserve University Archives

Tomlinson Hall

Location
northwest part of Case campus  

Description
3-story building; footings, foundation walls, floors and roof of reinforced concrete; exterior walls of Indiana limestone backed with brick; main entrance trimmed with Minnesota Pearl Grey Granite, containing student union, library, offices, dining facilities
"The Searcher," the figure above the front door, was described by the architect as "ever searching for new things in the world and in science that makes for a better world in which all society may live and prosper."
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.

Formal Names
Tomlinson Hall

Named For
George A. Tomlinson, friend

Other Names
Tomlinson Memorial Student Union Building             


Constructed
?-9/1947

Architect
Walker and Weeks

General Contractor
The Albert M. Higley Company


Financing
Gift of $550,000 or $640,000 from Laura Tomlinson, friend
Occupants
1947-1949+: Case student and faculty groups

Uses
1947-1949+: Recreation, library, offices, dining facilities
Ceremonies
Dedication: 5/2/1948

Trivia
Last Case student center

This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.

Previous Building   A-Z List   Next Building | Previous Building   Chronological List   Next Building

This page references: