Campus Location Map
1 2025-07-17T16:51:28+00:00 Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1d 9 2 2025-07-17T17:24:06+00:00 CWRU Archives Unknown mapadlnw CWRU Archives Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1dThis page is referenced by:
-
1
2025-10-23T19:49:57+00:00
Adelbert Main Building
6
Adelbert Main Building
plain
2025-11-24T15:31:30+00:00
northwest side of Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
4-story building of buff sandstone of 47,109 net square feet
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Other Names
Main Building
Adelbert College
Adelbert Main Building
Adelbert College Administration Building
College BuildingConstructed
7/1881-1883
Architect
1881: Joseph Ireland
Cost
1881: ca. $136,000 ($177,000-$181,000 for Adelbert Main Building and Pierce Hall)
Financing
1881: Gift of $100,000 plus part of $30,969.79 from Amasa Stone
Occupants
1882-1885: all Adelbert College academic departments and library, WRU President, WRU Secretary-Treasurer
1886-1888: all Adelbert College academic departments and library, WRU President, WRU Secretary-Treasurer, Case
1888-1893: all Adelbert College academic departments and library, WRU President, WRU Secretary-Treasurer
1894-1895: some Adelbert College academic departments and library, WRU President, WRU Secretary-Treasurer
1896-1918: some Adelbert College academic departments, WRU President, WRU Secretary-Treasurer
1918-1922: some Adelbert College academic departments, WRU President, WRU Secretary-Treasurer, School of Applied Social Sciences
1922-1925: some Adelbert College academic departments, WRU President, WRU Secretary-Treasurer
1925-1934: some Adelbert College academic departments, WRU President, WRU Secretary-Treasurer, WRU Dean of University Administration
1934-1941: some Adelbert College academic departments, WRU President, WRU Financial Vice President and Secretary
1941-1945: some Adelbert College academic departments, WRU President, WRU Financial Vice President and Secretary, WRU Educational Vice President
1945-1946: some Adelbert College academic departments, WRU President, WRU Financial Vice President and Secretary, WRU Educational Vice President, School of Architecture
1947: some Adelbert College academic departments, WRU President, WRU Financial Vice President and Secretary, WRU Educational Vice President, School of Architecture, WRU Development Vice President
1948-1949: some Adelbert College academic departments, WRU President, WRU Financial Vice President and Secretary, WRU Educational Vice President, School of Architecture, WRU Development Vice President, WRU Graduate School Dean
Uses
1882-1949+: Academic and administrative
Ceremonies
11/1927: from Frances C. Gaensslen
Trivia
First WRU building in University CircleAlterations and Modifications
Description
1886: Telephone installed
1889: Hand elevator installed
1897: Tower rebuilt
1901: Interior and west entrance remodeled
1910: New boilers, conduits, etc. constructed
1919: Electrical wiring of 2nd, 3rd, 4th floors
1920: Converted chapel on second floor to a lecture hall
1922: Basement renovated and new east entrance built
1927-1928: Unspecified alterations
Architect
1922: Abram Garfield
General Contractor
1910: Page & Corbusier
Cost
1886: ?
1889: ca. $150
1897: $4,430.24
1901: ca. $60,000
1910: $8,586.50 estimated
1919: $2,005 estimated
1920: ?
1922: ca. $10,900
1927-1928: $1,791.50
Financing
1886: ?
1889: ?
1897: Gift of unknown amount from Flora Stone Mather
1901: Gift of unknown amount from Alfred A. Pope
1910: ?
1919: ?
1920: ?
1922: Gift of $10,900 from Samuel Mather
1927-1928: ?
Donors
1897: Flora Stone Mather, friend
1901: Alfred A. Pope, trustee
1922: Samuel Mather, trustee
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-21T20:05:11+00:00
Stone Chapel
5
Stone Chapel
plain
2025-11-25T12:58:39+00:00
south side of Euclid Avenue, between Adelbert Road and East BoulevardLocation
Description
14th century English Gothic style; exterior and much of interior of Indiana limestone; 145 feet long with buttresses, 52 feet high, tower 25x25 feet and 121 feet high
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Formal Names
Amasa Stone Memorial
Named For
Amasa Stone, friend
Other Names
Amasa Stone Memorial Chapel
Constructed
1909-1911?
Architect
Henry Vaughn
Financing
Gift of $167,880 from Flora Stone Mather, friend; Gift of unknown amount from Clara Stone Hay, friend; $30,000 for building endowment
Occupants
1911-1949+: WRU
Uses
1911-1949+: Ceremonies, performances and lectures
Ceremonies
Groundbreaking: 4/15/1909
Cornerstone laying: 6/17/1909
Dedication: 6/13/1911
Trivia
Last campus church constructed
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-13T18:16:59+00:00
Physics Building
4
Physics Building
plain
2025-11-24T15:59:45+00:00
west side of Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
3-story, hard burned brick in block mortar, 80 x 60 feet, containing classrooms, offices, and labs
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Other Names
1894-1898: Physical Laboratory
Constructed
1894
Architect
Charles F. Schweinfurth
Cost
1894: $24,000-$35,000
Financing
1894: Gift of unknown amount from Samuel Mather, trustee
Occupants
ca. 1894-1949+: WRU Physics Dept.
Uses
ca. 1894-1949+: Classes, offices, and research
Ceremonies
Dedication: 6/17/1895
Trivia
First WRU building designed by Charles F. SchweinfurthAlterations and Modifications
Description
1899: Steel revolving astronomical dome and telescope erected on the tower
Cost
$5,000 estimated
Financing
Gift of unknown amount from Samuel Mather, trustee; Gift of unknown amount from Warner and Swasey CompanyAlterations and Modifications
Description
1910: 1-story, 60 x 42 feet extension at north end of building
Architect
Charles F. Schweinfurth
CostGift of unknown amount from Samuel Mather, trustee Alterations and Modifications
Cost
1948: Remodeled library classrooms, offices, and labs
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-04T13:25:10+00:00
Baker Building, 1957
3
Baker Building, 1957
plain
2025-11-04T13:47:03+00:00
southwest corner of Adelbert Road and Euclid AvenueLocation
Description
250 x 65 feet; 60,000 square feet; 3 floors with ground floor and lower level
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Formal Name
Newton D. Baker Memorial Building
Named For
Newton D. Baker, trustee
Other Names
Baker BuildingConstructed
4/1957 - 10/1958
Razed
11/2004
Architect
Garfield, Harris, Schafer, Flynn & Williams
General Contractor
The Cleveland Construction Company
Cost
1958: $1,526,950?
Financing
1958: proceeds from sale of Newton Diehl Baker Memorial and the Card Building; gifts from alumni and other sources
Occupants
1958-1959: Cleveland College, Management, Instructional Computing Off., WRU Mathematics and Statistics Dept.
1959-1961: Bureau of Business Research, Cleveland College, Management, Instructional Computing Off., WRU Mathematics and Statistics Dept.
1961-1963: Bureau of Business Research, Cleveland College, Management, Instructional Computing Off., WRU Political Science Dept.
1963-1965: Bureau of Business Research, Cleveland College, Management, Instructional Computing Off., WRU Philosophy Dept.
1965-1968: Bureau of Business Research, Cleveland College, Management, Instructional Computing Off.
1968-1969: Dively Center, Cleveland College, Management, Instructional Computing Off.
1969-1971: Dively Center, Cleveland College, Management
1971-1972: Dively Center, Cleveland College, Management, Instructional Computing Off.
1972-1974: Dively Center, Western Reserve College, Management, Instructional Computing Off., Continuing Education Off.
1974-1975: Alumni Office, Complex Systems Institute, Continuing Education Off., Instructional Computing Off., Library Science, Western Reserve College
1975-1977: Alumni Office, Development, Continuing Education Off., Instructional Computing Off., Library Science, Western Reserve College
1977-1981: Development, Continuing Education Off., Instructional Computing Off., Library Science, Western Reserve College
1981-1985: Development, Continuing Education Off., Instructional Computing Off., Graduate Studies, Library Science, Western Reserve College
1985-1986: Development, Instructional Computing Off., Graduate Studies, Library Science, Western Reserve College, Undergraduate Studies Off.
1986-1987: Development, Instructional Computing Off., Graduate Studies, Western Reserve College, Undergraduate Studies Off.
1987-1990: Development, Instructional Computing Off., Graduate Studies, Undergraduate Studies Off.
1990-1991: Information Systems Off., Alumni Office, Development, Instructional Computing Off., Graduate Studies, Undergraduate Studies Off.
1991-1993: Information Systems Off., Alumni Office, Development, Instructional Computing Off., Graduate Studies, Undergraduate Studies Off., Internal Audit
1993-2000: Alumni Office, Development, Instructional Computing Off., Graduate Studies, Undergraduate Studies Off., Internal Audit
2000-2003: Plant Services, Alumni Office, Development, Instructional Computing Off., Graduate Studies, Undergraduate Studies Off., Internal Audit
2003-2004: Plant Services, Alumni Office, Development, Instructional Computing Off., Graduate Studies, Internal Audit
Uses1958-2004 classes, offices, ceremonies, performances and lectures
Ceremonies
Groundbreaking: 4/28/1957
Cornerstone: 11/2/1957
Dedication: 11/16/1958
Trivia
First University building razed in the 21st century.Alterations and Modifications
Description
1981: renovation of Baker Lounge
Cost
$45,000
Financing
Operating funds
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building -
1
2025-11-11T18:48:51+00:00
Hatch Library
3
Hatch Library
plain
2025-11-24T16:13:24+00:00
southwest corner of Adelbert Road and Euclid AvenueLocation
Description
2-stories, English Gothic style with buff Ohio sandstone backed with brick, roof of Maine slate, 95x101 feet, tower 15x15 feetFormal Name
Henry R. Hatch Library
Named For
Henry R. Hatch, trustee
Other Names
Hatch HallConstructed
1895-1896
Razed
8/1956
Architect
Charles F. Schweinfurth
Cost
1896: ca. $50,000 for Hatch Library and Hatch Library 1898 Addition
Financing
1895: Gift of unknown amount from Henry R. Hatch, trustee
Occupants
1896-1943: Adelbert College
1943-1951: WRU Geology Dept.
1952: WRU Geology Dept, WRU Astronomy Dept. 1953-1956: WRU Geology Dept, WRU Astronomy Dept., Reserve Tribune Org.
Uses
1896-1943: Library
1943-1956: Research, teaching, and offices
Ceremonies
Cornerstone laying: 6/17/1895
Dedication: 6/15/1896
Trivia
First Adelbert College library buildingAlterations and Modifications
Description
1898: Two 1-story wings, each 25x40 feet
Cost
ca. $50,000 for Hatch Library and Hatch Library 1898 Addition
Financing
Gift of unknown amount from Henry R. Hatch, trusteAlterations and Modifications
Description
1943: Removed spiral staircase, installed new lighting and new electrical service
Cost
$577.21
Financing
Gift of unknown amount from United States Government and WRU operating funds
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building