Case Western Reserve University Archives

Stone Chapel

Location
south side of Euclid Avenue, between Adelbert Road and East Boulevard

Description
14th century English Gothic style; exterior and much of interior of Indiana limestone; 145 feet long with buttresses, 52 feet high, tower 25x25 feet and 121 feet high
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.

Formal Names
Amasa Stone Memorial

Named For
Amasa Stone, friend

Other Names
Amasa Stone Memorial Chapel


Constructed
1909-1911?

Architect
Henry Vaughn
Financing
Gift of $167,880 from Flora Stone Mather, friend; Gift of unknown amount from Clara Stone Hay, friend; $30,000 for building endowment
Occupants
1911-1949+: WRU

Uses
1911-1949+: Ceremonies, performances and lectures
Ceremonies
Groundbreaking: 4/15/1909
Cornerstone laying: 6/17/1909
Dedication: 6/13/1911

Trivia
Last campus church constructed

This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.

Previous Building   A-Z List   Next Building | Previous Building   Chronological List   Next Building

This page references: