Case School: The Evolving History



In 1930, the Department of Mathematics and Astronomy separated into the Department of Mathematics and the Department of Astronomy.

The Astronomy Department had two faculty members Jason J. Nassau and Dr. Brown, with Nassau serving as the head of the department. By 1946, the two faculty completed the star chart, known as the Brown-Nassau star finder. The chart was used for navigation and was well received by the Hydrographic Office of the Navy.

Because of increased interest in astronomy, the Warner & Swasey Observatory was enlarged in 1941. The new addition included: a large dome with a new 24-36 inch Schmidt-type telescope constructed by the Warner and Swasey Company; an auditorium for public lectures and large class meetings; an exhibit hall containing models and transparencies; and more space for library, shop, offices and measuring instruments.