Wood Building, exterior, north and west sides
1 2024-09-27T15:28:08+00:00 Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1d 9 1 Wood Building, exterior, north and west sides, 1924? 2024-09-27T15:28:08+00:00 CWRU Archives unknown Wood Building 00137 1924? unknown [Places] Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1dThis page is referenced by:
-
1
2025-11-22T01:25:38+00:00
Wood Building
2
Wood Building
plain
2025-11-22T01:54:21+00:00
southeast side of Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
4 stories plus basement and sub-basement of buff brick facing and limestone trim, each floor 32,000 square feet
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Formal Names
Harland Goff Wood Building
Named For
Harland Goff Wood, faculty
Other Names
Medical SchoolConstructed
1922-1924
Architect
Coolidge and Shattuck
General Contractor
Lundoff-Bicknell Co.
Cost
1922: approximately $2.5 million for Wood Building, Animal Hospital, 1924, Power House, tunnels
Financing
1922: Gift of $2.5 million from Samuel Mather, trustee
Occupants
1924-1949+: School of Medicine
Uses
1924-1949+: Academic or administrative
Ceremonies
Cornerstone laying: 4/18/1923
Dedication: 10/9/1924
Trivia
First University Circle School of Medicine buildingAlterations and Modifications
Description
1947: Converted space to a centralized library
Financing
gift from William Gwinn Mather, trustee
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building