Case Western Reserve University Archives

Wood Building

Location
southeast side of Adelbert Road

Description
4 stories plus basement and sub-basement of buff brick facing and limestone trim, each floor 32,000 square feet
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.

Formal Names
Harland Goff Wood Building

Named For
Harland Goff Wood, faculty

Other Names
Medical School                 


Constructed
1922-1924

Architect
Coolidge and Shattuck

General Contractor
Lundoff-Bicknell Co.


Cost   
1922: approximately $2.5 million for Wood Building, Animal Hospital, 1924, Power House, tunnels 

Financing
1922: Gift of $2.5 million from Samuel Mather, trustee
Occupants
1924-1949+: School of Medicine

Uses
1924-1949+: Academic or administrative
Ceremonies
Cornerstone laying: 4/18/1923
Dedication: 10/9/1924

Trivia
First University Circle School of Medicine building
Alterations and Modifications

Description
1947: Converted space to a centralized library

Financing
gift from William Gwinn Mather, trustee  

This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.

Previous Building   A-Z List   Next Building | Previous Building   Chronological List   Next Building

This page references: