Case Western Reserve University Archives

Rockefeller Mining and Metallurgy

Location
southwest part of Case campus

Description
2-story building of Italian Renaissance style, mill construction using brown shale dull glazed brick with tooled stone trimmings, 70x145 feet; containing laboratories, museum, classrooms, offices, shops
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.

Other Names
Mining and Metallurgy
The Rockefeller Laboratory for Metallurgy and Mining Engineering
The Rockefeller Laboratory for Metallurgical Engineering
Mining Engineering Laboratory
Mining Laboratory

Named For
John D. Rockefeller, friend


Constructed
1904-1905

Architect
Charles W. Hopkinson

General Contractor
The Samuel Austin & Son Co.
Cost
1904: $62,422 or $76,363.14

Financing
1904: Gift of $75,000 from John D. Rockefeller, friend
Occupants
1905-1931: Mining and Metallurgical Engineering Dept.
1931-1939: Metallurgical Engineering Dept. and Chemical Engineering Dept.
1940-1949+: Metallurgical Engineering Dept.

Uses
1905-1949+: Research and teaching, offices, workshops, museum
Trivia
Second vertical addition to a campus building
Alterations and Modifications

Description
1931: Remodeled southwest wing
Alterations and Modifications

Description
1946: third story

Architect
Walker & Weeks

General Contractor
The Hadlock Krill Company

Cost
$181,000

Financing
Gift of $111,700 from Alice Rockefeller, friend; Gift of $12,500 from George A. Yost, alumnus

This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.

Previous Building   A-Z List   Next Building | Previous Building   Chronological List   Next Building

This page references: