Rockefeller Mining and Metallurgy, exterior, north and east sides
1 2025-11-20T19:13:01+00:00 Benjamin Bowers 78b1957d54cda1d2cb3b1a500776f35a405a28f2 9 1 Rockefeller Mining and Metallurgy, exterior, north and east sides, 1947 plain 2025-11-20T19:13:01+00:00 CWRU Archives public domain Rockefeller Mining and Metallurgy 00118 1947 [Places] Rockefeller Mining and Metallurgy, exterior, north and east sides, 1947 This image is in the public domain. unknown Benjamin Bowers 78b1957d54cda1d2cb3b1a500776f35a405a28f2This page is referenced by:
-
1
2025-11-20T18:59:16+00:00
Rockefeller Mining and Metallurgy
3
Rockefeller Mining and Metallurgy
plain
2025-11-24T19:37:33+00:00
southwest part of Case campusLocation
Description
2-story building of Italian Renaissance style, mill construction using brown shale dull glazed brick with tooled stone trimmings, 70x145 feet; containing laboratories, museum, classrooms, offices, shops
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Other Names
Mining and Metallurgy
The Rockefeller Laboratory for Metallurgy and Mining Engineering
The Rockefeller Laboratory for Metallurgical Engineering
Mining Engineering Laboratory
Mining Laboratory
Named For
John D. Rockefeller, friend
Constructed
1904-1905
Architect
Charles W. Hopkinson
General Contractor
The Samuel Austin & Son Co.
Cost
1904: $62,422 or $76,363.14
Financing
1904: Gift of $75,000 from John D. Rockefeller, friend
Occupants
1905-1931: Mining and Metallurgical Engineering Dept.
1931-1939: Metallurgical Engineering Dept. and Chemical Engineering Dept.
1940-1949+: Metallurgical Engineering Dept.
Uses
1905-1949+: Research and teaching, offices, workshops, museum
Trivia
Second vertical addition to a campus buildingAlterations and Modifications
Description
1931: Remodeled southwest wingAlterations and Modifications
Description
1946: third story
Architect
Walker & Weeks
General ContractorThe Hadlock Krill Company
Cost
$181,000
Financing
Gift of $111,700 from Alice Rockefeller, friend; Gift of $12,500 from George A. Yost, alumnus
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building