Campus Location Map
1 2025-07-17T16:51:28+00:00 Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1d 9 2 2025-07-17T17:24:06+00:00 CWRU Archives Unknown mapadlcw CWRU Archives Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1dThis page is referenced by:
-
1
2025-11-10T15:58:17+00:00
Cutler Hall
3
Cutler Hall
plain
2025-11-24T15:32:28+00:00
Adelbert Road, 2100, west side of Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
2-stories plus basement and attic brick building, outside dimensions of 47x58 feet or 7,661 net square feet, containing classrooms, offices, laboratories, barracks; attached to Pierce Hall by hallway on west side of building
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Formal Name
Cutler Hall
Named For
Carroll Cutler, WRU president/faculty
Other Names
1930-1931: Pierce-Cutler Hall
1930-1931: Adelbert Hall
1934: Adelbert Dorm
Refectory
Constructed
?-1882?
Financingca. 1881: gift of unknown amount from Amasa Stone
Occupants1882?-1886?: Carroll Cutler, WRU president/faculty
1887?-1914: ?
1915-1918: Home Economics Dept.
1918-1934: School of Library Science
? -1943 Business and Economics Dept., WRU Chemistry Dept.
1943-1944: United States Army Air Corps trainees (28th College Training Detachment (Air Crew)) and Chemistry in basement
1945-?: Business and Economics Dept.
1946-1948: School of Architecture
1949: ?
Uses
1882?-1886?: Residence
1887?-1914: ?
1915-1943: Classes, offices, research
1943-1944: Residence and research
1945-?: Offices
1946-1948: ?
1949: Library?
Trivia
First WRU President's residenceAlterations and Modifications
Description
1943: Unspecified alterations
Cost
$16,301.39 for Pierce Hall and Cutler Hall
Financing
U.S. Government and University operating expenses
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-13T18:37:12+00:00
Pierce Hall
3
Pierce Hall
plain
2025-11-24T15:33:24+00:00
southern part of Adelbert campus, west side of Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
3-story building of 27,318 net square feet, containing offices, classrooms, labs; attached to Cutler Hall by hallway on east side of building
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Formal Name
Pierce Hall
Named For
George Pierce, WRC president
Other Names
1930-1931: Pierce-Cutler Hall
1888-1892, 1930-1931: Adelbert Hall
1934: Adelbert Dorm
Dormitory
Constructed
?-1882
Cost
1882: ca. $45,000 ($177,000-$181,000 for Adelbert Main Building and Pierce Hall)
Financing
1881: Gift of $50,000 and part of $30,969.79 from Amasa Stone
Occupants
1882-?: Adelbert College students
1886-?: Case students
1894-1896: School of Law
1897-1903: ?
1904-1916: School of Library Science (south end of 1st and 2nd floors)
1913: Delta Tau Delta fraternity
1916?-1918: School of Library Science (south end of 1st and 2nd floors) and School of Applied Social Sciences
1918: Student Army Training Corps
1919: Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity
1919-1923: Zeta Beta Tau fraternity
1920-1921: Psi Omega fraternity
1921-1922: Kappa Nu fraternity
1922-1924: Delta Theta Pi fraternity, Phi Delta Phi fraternity
1923-1924: Alpha Kappa Upsilon fraternity, Phi Delta Chi fraternity
1924: Tau Epsilon Rho fraternity
1925: WRU Geology Dept., School of Library Science, School of Pharmacy
1926: Phi Delta Gamma fraternity
1927-1929: ?
1930-1932+: School of Library Science, WRU Geology Dept. and WRU Chemistry Dept.
1933: School of Pharmacy, Classics Dept. library
?-1943: WRU English Dept., Political Science Dept., Sociology Dept., Speech Dept., WRU Geology and Geography Dept., Pharmacognosy Dept., School of Applied Social Sciences, School of Pharmacy, WRU Chemistry Dept.
1943-1944: United States Army Air Corps trainees (28th College Training Detachment (Air Crew))
1945: ?
1946: School of Architecture, WRU Geology and Geography Dept., WRU English Dept., Speech Dept., Political Science Dept., Sociology Dept., Religion Dept., WRU Chemistry Dept.
1947-1948: ?
1949+: School of Architecture
Uses
1882-?: Residence
1894-1912: Academic or administrative
1913: Residence
1914-1916: ?
1916-1918: Academic or administrative
1918-1926: Residence
1925-1943: Classes, research, and offices
1943-1944: Residence
1946-?: Classes, research, and offices
Ceremonies
Dedication: 10/26/1882
Trivia
First WRU men's dormitoryAlterations and Modifications
Description
1925: Unspecified alterations
Architect
Charles W. Hopkinson
General Contractor
A. A. Lane Construction Co.
Cost
$76,000
Financing
?Alterations and Modifications
Description
1930: Remodeled basement and 3rd floor
Cost
$27,000 estimated
Financing
Operating fundsAlterations and Modifications
Description
1943: Convered classrooms and offices to barracks
Cost
$16,301.39 for Pierce Hall and Cutler Hall
Financing
Partially financed from United States Army fees
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-13T18:55:06+00:00
Privy
3
Privy
plain
2025-11-24T15:35:26+00:00
set back from road on west side of Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
vault of hard bricks 4x20 feet; superstructure of wood 12x16 feetConstructed
1883
Occupants
1883-?: WRU
Uses
1883-?: Privy
Trivia
Only documented University outhouse in University Circle
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-11T14:41:53+00:00
Eldred Hall
3
Eldred Hall
plain
2025-11-24T16:15:55+00:00
central part of Adelbert campus, off Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
3-story plus basement English Gothic style, faced with sandstone; first floor finished in oak, second and third floors finished in maple and Georgia pine, 80x37 feet; containing cafeteria, barber shop, auditorium
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Formal Name
Eldred Hall
Named For
Henry B. Eldred, friend
Other Names
YMCA Building
Young Men's Christian Association Building
Constructed
1897-1898
Architect
William Warren Sabin
Cost
1897: $16,940.22 (including furnishings)
Financing
1897: Gift of $15,000 from Henry B. Eldred
Occupants
1897-?: Young Men's Christian Association
1918: Student Army Training Corps
1938?-1949+: Dramatic Arts Dept.
Uses
1897-1938?: Recreation
1938?-1949+: Classes and performances
Leased
1926-1930: to C. W. Chinn
Ceremonies
Cornerstone laying: 6/21/1897
Dedication: 6/19/1898
Trivia
First Adelbert College student centerAlterations and Modifications
Description
1927-1928: Added new sub-basement
Cost
$2,898.03Alterations and Modifications
Description
1938: Remodeled old section and purchased new seats;built new addition with a new theater, auditorium and dressing rooms
Architect
Garfield, Harris, Robinson & Schafer
General Contractor
Peck & Udell Construction Company
Cost
$6,822 for remodelling and $35,335 estimated for addition
Financing
Gifts of $1,998.55 from Eldred Players and gifts of $950 from various donors for remodelling; gift of $35,000 from Rockefeller Foundation for addition
Ceremonies
Groundbreaking: 7/27/1938
Opening: 1/17/1939
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-10T16:10:12+00:00
DeGrace Hall
3
DeGrace Hall
plain
2025-11-24T16:17:49+00:00
west side of Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
Gothic stone structure, three stories and closed basement; 93x63 feet, with small wings projected from the north and south ends, extending up to second floor; containing classrooms, offices, labs, museum
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Formal Name
DeGrace Hall
Named For
Mayme S. and William J. DeGrace, friends
Other Names
Biological Building
Biological Laboratory
Constructed
1897-1899
Financing
Charles F. Schweinfurth
Cost
1897: $38,000-$40,000
Financing
1897: Gift of $10,000 from A. Friend; Gift of $1,000 from John Hay; Gift of $20,000 from Daniel Fayerweather; Gift of $1,000 from Flora Stone Mather; Gift of $2,000 from Julia Gleason Stone; Gift of $1,000 from Louis H. Severance; Gift of $1,000 from Jeptha H. Wade; Gift of $5,500 from A. A. Pope; Gift of $1,000 from H. B. Perkins; Gift of $1,000 from J. Livingstone Taylor; Gift of $1,000 from ? Hinds
Occupants
1899-1942: Biology Dept.
1943-1944: Biology Dept. and Pharmacognosy Dept.
1944-1949+: Biology Dept
Uses
1899-1949+: Classes, research, offices
Ceremonies
Dedication: 6/13/1899; 10/5/2001
Trivia
Longest gap between construction and formal naming (102 years)Alterations and Modifications
Description
1928-1929: Unspecific alterationsAlterations and Modifications
Description
1929: Greenhouse
Cost$6,790
Financing
Gift of $5,000 from Charles Lathrop Pack
Donors
Charles Lathrop Pack, trustee
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-13T16:17:02+00:00
Morley Chemistry Laboratory
3
Morley Chemistry Laboratory
plain
2025-11-24T19:47:31+00:00
west side of Adelbert Road, set back from roadLocation
Description
3-story with basement Collegiate Gothic, with buff Indiana limestone trimmings, 19,172 square feet, containing classrooms, offices, laboratories
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.
Formal Name
Morley Chemical Laboratory
Named For
Edward W. Morley, faculty
Other Names
Morley Laboratory of ChemistryConstructed
1908-1910
Architect
Charles F. Schweinfurth
Cost
$143,332
Financing
Campaign totaling $40,000; Gift of $75,000 from Joseph P. Chamberlain, Selah Chamberlain, and Ellen S. Chamberlain; Gift of $10,000 from Jeptha Homer Wade; Gift of $5,000 from Charles F. Brush
Occupants
1910-1925: WRU Chemistry Dept. and WRU Geology Dept.
1925-1949+: WRU Chemistry Dept.
Uses
1910-1949+: Research, teaching, offices
Ceremonies
Cornerstone laying: 6/11/1908
Trivia
Second WRU building named for a faculty member
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-04T13:48:57+00:00
Barracks #1
3
Barracks #1
plain
2025-11-25T13:07:34+00:00
west side of Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
2-story frame barracksConstructed
10/1918-11/1918
Razed
ca. 1919
General Contractor
Crowell-Lundoff-Little Co.
Cost
1918: ?
ca. 1919 sale price: $4,004.14 for Barracks #1, Barracks #2, Mess Hall, for structures not land
Financing
Gift of unknown amount from United States Government
Occupants
1918: Student Army Training Corps
Uses
1918: Residence
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-04T13:49:07+00:00
Barracks #2
3
Barracks #2
plain
2025-11-25T13:08:18+00:00
west side of Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
2-story frame barracksConstructed
10/1918-11/1918
Razed
ca. 1919
General Contractor
Crowell-Lundoff-Little Co.
Cost
1918: ?
ca. 1919 sale price: $4,004.14 for Barracks #1, Barracks #2, Mess Hall, for structures not land
Financing
Gift of unknown amount from United States Government
Occupants
1918: Student Army Training Corps
Uses
1918: Residence
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-11T21:02:54+00:00
Mess Hall
3
Mess Hall
plain
2025-11-25T13:09:57+00:00
west side of Adelbert Road, set back from roadLocation
Description
1-story frame mess hallConstructed
10/1918-11/1918
Razed
ca. 1919
General Contractor
Crowell-Lundoff-Little Co.
Cost
1918: ?
ca. 1919 sale price: $4,004.14 for Barracks #1, Barracks #2, Mess Hall, for structure not land
Financing
Gift of unknown amount from United States Government
Occupants
1918: Student Army Training Corps
Uses
1918: Dining facilities
Sold
ca. 1919: to ?
Trivia
First WRU cafeteria building
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building -
1
2025-11-21T20:08:52+00:00
Temporary Building
2
Temporary Building
plain
2025-11-22T00:20:44+00:00
set back from west side of Adelbert Road, 30' from Case line; 2100 Adelbert RoadLocation
Description
2-story frame construction set on concrete block foundation, 51x119 feet
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.Other Names
Classroom-Faculty Office Building
Adelbert Road, 2100
Constructed
1947-1948
Financing
Small, Smith & Reeb
Cost
$17,000 or $28,157
Financing
Gift of of unknown amount from United States Federal Works Agency Bureau of Community Facilities and WRU operating funds
Occupants
1948-1949+: WRU
Uses
1948-1949+: Academic or administrative
Trivia
Last University classroom/office building without plumbing
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building