Case School of Applied Science opened its doors in September 1881 at the Case Family Homestead in downtown Cleveland, with five faculty and sixteen students. At that time, no one could foresee the loss and the challenges the School would face; the immeasurable dedication, creativity, and innovation of administrators, faculty, staff and students; or the high level of success the School would reach in the future.
While the curriculum in the early years focused on Mathematics, Physics, and Chemistry, there was a strong component of Civil Engineering. By offering a rigorous program that kept pace with the demands of industry and scientific advancements, Case School expanded its offerings over time to include Mechanical, Electrical and Mining and Metallurgical Engineering, and the innovative Engineering Administration program.
In 1947, the School changed its name to Case Institute of Technology (CIT) to better reflect an increased engineering focus. Case Institute of Technology continued to offer programs in Physics, Mathematics, Industrial Chemistry, and Engineering disciplines. CIT added multiple academic spaces, the first dorms, and several new academic disciplines, including System, Computer, Polymer, and Biomedical Engineering.
The federation of Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University in 1967 launched a new era. The challenging federation process built on each institutions’ strengths to create Case Western Reserve University, a new institution with excellent academic and research programs in engineering, sciences, and humanities.
Case School Timeline