This content was created by Christine Liebson.
School of Medicine lecture ticket
1 2020-06-02T17:45:44+00:00 Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54 9 6 Students of the Medical School were issued tickets to allow them to attend classes plain 2020-07-13T20:01:29+00:00 01283 1848-1849 Medicine ; E32430 Lectures public domain Medical Department of Western Reserve College CWRU Archives Things School of Medicine lecture ticket, 1848-1849 This image is in the public domain. 1848-1849 Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54This page has annotations:
- 1 2020-06-16T19:08:16+00:00 Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54 School of Medicine lecture ticket Christine Liebson 2 University Downtown - Medicine plain 2020-06-16T19:09:35+00:00 Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54
This page is referenced by:
-
1
2020-03-24T10:47:45+00:00
School of Medicine
37
Did you know? During its 81 years in downtown Cleveland, the largest School of Medicine enrollment was 255 in 1849/50. Tuition was $50.
image_header
2021-03-02T17:01:49+00:00
1843
1844-1925
The School of Medicine was located in downtown Cleveland for 81 years (half of its existence), longer than any other WRU school or department. During its downtown period, the School graduated the second woman in the United States to receive a regular medical degree. WRU's School of Medicine also graduated the most women at a co-educational regular medical school before the 1860s. The School also began its program of research while downtown, constructing 2 buildings (the H.K. Cushing Laboratory and the Physiological Laboratory) for this purpose." In 1844 enrollment was 109 and tuition was $50. In 1923 enrollment was 197 and tuition was $250. Additional information about the history of the School of Medicine is available in the archived blog post, "School of Medicine Mini-History, " written by Archives staff.
School of Medicine Lecture TicketSchool of Medicine Lecture Ticket 1School of Medicine Catalog Medical School 1846 Exterior West Side 1Medical School 1887 Exterior North and West SidesMedical School 1887 InteriorMedical School 1887 Interior Dissection Room
Medical School 1887 Faculty Room
Medicine Commencement Invitation 1
Students Work with Microscopes
Students Prepare for Surgery
Medical Students in a Laboratory
-
1
2025-03-10T17:26:06+00:00
Establishment of the Medical School
13
This page provide information about the establishment of the Medical School.
plain
2025-03-14T14:34:34+00:00
From the very beginning, there was a desire at Western Reserve College to teach medical students. In 1822, an appeal for funds to start the college in Hudson was printed, which mentioned the intent to eventually teach students the professions of law, theology, and medicine. In 1834, when it was announced that a medical school was forming in nearby Willoughby, Ohio, the Western Reserve College trustees passed a resolution that they still intended to create a medical department of their own.
The chance came in 1843, when the majority of the faculty of Willoughby University of Lake Erie Medical College resigned. Several of them held medical practices in Cleveland and had the idea to start a new medical school there. In August of that year, the trustees of Western Reserve College were asked to support their plan by adopting the new medical school as part of the already established university.
It was initially unclear if Western Reserve College’s charter would allow for students to be instructed in Cleveland and awarded degrees by the school in Hudson. After deliberation, the solution was to form a committee to examine the degree candidates. This committee would then submit the names of those who passed examination to the board of trustees in Hudson for official approval. Other universities had made similar arrangements in the past, so the trustees believed this would allow them to have their medical department in Cleveland. Instruction began in November 1843 with the first class of 67 students. Nearly half of those had been students in Willoughby, which prompted attacks and questions of legality by the Willoughby administration.
Although the current students and legal experts who were consulted were satisfied with the arrangements, to prevent any future problems, the faculty requested that the charter be amended. This was conveyed by the trustees to Augustus E. Foot, the Summit County representative in the Ohio House, who was also a resident of Hudson. Foot introduced a bill in December 1843 to amend the charter. Usually such a request was a routine matter. However, the Willoughby trustees used their political connections to rally opposition to the bill among supporters of railroad subsidies. The Western Reserve College supporters, therefore, sought the help of legislators who favored canals, as they were inclined to disagree with the railroad supporters. Eventually, the bill passed the House and then the Senate, on February 23, 1844. This was three days after the first class graduated from the medical school. In March, the trustees officially established the Medical Department of Western Reserve College, finally putting any legal challenges to rest.
Aside from degrees being presented by Western Reserve College, the Medical Department remained largely independent from the Hudson campus. In addition to being financially separate, it was often referred to simply as “Cleveland Medical College” at the time.
The medical curriculum originally lasted 16 weeks (growing to 20 weeks by 1880). Approximately 30 lectures were given a week, with all students in the same amphitheater to hear the same lessons. The lectures tended to remain the same from year to year, unless a new professor was presenting the material. Students were expected to attend two years’ worth of lectures, in addition to a year of working with a preceptor. A preceptor was a working physician, usually with little prior teaching experience, who gave students hands-on training by bringing them along on their medical calls. The students’ experiences also included dissection of a cadaver as part of their required practical anatomy exam.
After the first two years were spent using rented space, the medical department began its third session on November 5, 1845, in the nearly completed building that was erected specifically for this purpose. The building would be used continuously until March 1884.
Sources
For more information about the School of Medicine’s history, see the list of published histories on our CWRU Archives Sources page. In addition to the published histories, information comes from records in the Case Western Reserve University Archives.