Observatory, exterior
1 2025-03-24T14:17:38+00:00 Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1d 9 1 Observatory, exterior, 1938 2025-03-24T14:17:38+00:00 CWRU Archives CWRU Observatory 1838 00555 1938 Unknown [Places] Julia Teran 9aca9c408841ff28b321d7128a1e5c918a151e1dThis page is referenced by:
-
1
2025-03-21T20:09:34+00:00
The Hudson Campus
9
Bicentennial celebration - details about the buildings on Hudson campus
plain
2025-04-04T18:49:01+00:00
The original Western Reserve College campus was located in Hudson, Ohio - about 26 miles from the university's current campus in Cleveland. Let's explore the original campus buildings.
Middle College was the first building constructed on the new campus. Therefore, it was the first university building! It was a 3-story brick building with a footprint of 56 x 37 feet. Lemuel Porter designed and oversaw construction. It had an open cylindrical belfry with wooden pillars supporting a dome surmounted by a flagstaff. The dome housed the college bell. In 1836 this bell was moved to the Chapel's tower.
The cornerstone laying ceremony was held 4/26/1826. One of the oldest documents in the University Archives is a copy of the hymn from the cornerstone ceremony. Construction concluded in 1827. The cost was around $5,500. Middle College was used for classes and as a dormitory until 1830 after which it was used only as a dormitory. The building was still standing after the college moved to Cleveland, but it was eventually razed by Western Reserve Academy in 1912.
South College was the second building constructed. It was built in 1829-1830 and was 4-stories high with a footprint of 74 x 37 feet. The 1st floor was built of dressed sandstone and the 2nd-4th floors were built of brick. It was considered two buildings. The first floor was used as a chapel and had classrooms used by the theological department. The second floor had classrooms and a library. The third and fourth floors were dormitories.
Over time, the uses changed. After the Chapel was completed in 1836, the first floor was used for student activities such as literary societies and a reading room. After 1843 when the Athenaeum was built, the second and third floors were used for student societies and fraternities. South College still stood in 1882 when the college moved, but it was razed in 1884. It was the first campus building razed.
The President's House was authorized by the trustees at the same time as South College. It was built in 1829-1830. It was a 2-story brick house built as a double-residence. The north half of the building was for the president and the south half was originally intended for the professor of theology. From 1830 until 1874 the president or president emeritus resided in the north half of the house. The residents of the south half varied. Several faculty members and at least one trustee resided there. It was the first president's house. It still stands today on the campus of Western Reserve Academy and is still known as the President's House.
The Chapel was built in 1835-1836. It was 3-stories with a tower in 3 sections. The footprint was 60 x 40 feet. Simeon Porter oversaw construction. The cost was $6,231.52. The Chapel was dedicated 8/23/1836. It was used as a library, classrooms, auditorium, and gallery. The classrooms were originally for the theological department. All theological department activities moved to this building from South College. In 1836 the college bell was moved from Middle College to the Chapel. Several other bells were used over the years. The Chapel still stands on the campus of Western Reserve Academy.
North College was built in 1837-1838. It was 4-stories with a footprint of 58 x 37 feet, and had a hip roof which differed from the roof lines of the other buildings. The cost was $8,070.29. It was a dormitory building, originally for theological students and seniors. It is the only original dormitory building still standing and is now called North Hall on the Western Reserve Academy campus.
The Observatory was built in 1838. It is a 37 x 16 foot, 1-story brick building with a revolving dome. The foundation, sills, and lintels of are dressed sandstone. There are 2 monolith piers inside the building to support a transit and equatorial telescope. It was built after Elias Loomis was hired as professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy. He traveled to Europe to purchase the equipment for the observatory and performed the first scientific research and observations in the building. The building still stands and is now called the Loomis Observatory. It was the university's first observatory. It was the first observatory built west of the Appalachian mountains and the third observatory built in the country.
The Athenaeum was built in 1841-1843. It was a 64 x 47 foot, 3-story brick building with a tower. It was also referred to as the natural science building. It contained classrooms, laboratory, and a museum (on the 3rd floor). There was a skylight in the roof to give lighting for the museum. It took almost 3 years to complete the building because of a lack of funds. The cost was around $8,000. It was in this building that Edward Morley established a laboratory where students learned chemistry by doing experiments themselves instead of only observing a professor. Morley was an early adopter of this mode of laboratory teaching. In the 1860s the tower was removed. The building still stands and is still called the Athenaeum.Other Buildings
There were 3 manual labor shop buildings constructed 1828-1832. They were located in a row behind North College and were referred to as north, middle, and south shops. See the section, Academics at Western Reserve College, for more information about the manual labor program. The middle building also held the printing plant for the College. The manual labor program faded by the 1840s and these buildings were put to other uses. In 1844 the north and middle shops burned down. The middle shop was rebuilt and eventually was moved behind Middle College and became the first gymnasium.
Sources
For more information about the Hudson campus, see the list of published histories on our CWRU Archives Sources page. In addition to the published histories, information comes from Board of Trustees records and other Western Reserve College records in the Case Western Reserve University Archives.