This content was created by Christine Liebson.
Medical School, 1887, exterior, north and west sides
1 2020-06-02T17:45:43+00:00 Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54 9 6 The Medical School building at East 9th street and St. Clair Avenue built in 1887 plain 2020-07-13T19:40:42+00:00 01268 1887? Medical School, 1887 unknown unknown CWRU Archives Places Medical school, 1887, exterior, north and west sides, ? Copyright status unknown. Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54This page has annotations:
- 1 2020-06-16T19:17:10+00:00 Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54 Medical School, 1887, exterior, north and west sides Christine Liebson 2 University Downtown - Medicine plain 2020-06-16T19:19:15+00:00 Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54
This page has tags:
- 1 2020-06-02T17:45:45+00:00 Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54 Medicine commencement invitation Christine Liebson 6 Invitation for the 50th Medical School commencement in 1894, depicting both 1887 and 1846 buildings plain 2020-07-13T20:19:23+00:00 01287 1894 1894 Medicine ; E63240 Commencements / Brochure public domain Medical Department of Western Reserve University CWRU Archives Commencement ; Things Christine Liebson 6faeb936e67a615bb9a88f40102e089038d20a54
This page is referenced by:
-
1
2020-03-24T10:47:45+00:00
School of Medicine
37
Did you know? During its 81 years in downtown Cleveland, the largest School of Medicine enrollment was 255 in 1849/50. Tuition was $50.
image_header
2021-03-02T17:01:49+00:00
1843
1844-1925
The School of Medicine was located in downtown Cleveland for 81 years (half of its existence), longer than any other WRU school or department. During its downtown period, the School graduated the second woman in the United States to receive a regular medical degree. WRU's School of Medicine also graduated the most women at a co-educational regular medical school before the 1860s. The School also began its program of research while downtown, constructing 2 buildings (the H.K. Cushing Laboratory and the Physiological Laboratory) for this purpose." In 1844 enrollment was 109 and tuition was $50. In 1923 enrollment was 197 and tuition was $250. Additional information about the history of the School of Medicine is available in the archived blog post, "School of Medicine Mini-History, " written by Archives staff.
School of Medicine Lecture TicketSchool of Medicine Lecture Ticket 1School of Medicine Catalog Medical School 1846 Exterior West Side 1Medical School 1887 Exterior North and West SidesMedical School 1887 InteriorMedical School 1887 Interior Dissection Room
Medical School 1887 Faculty Room
Medicine Commencement Invitation 1
Students Work with Microscopes
Students Prepare for Surgery
Medical Students in a Laboratory
-
1
2020-10-19T23:18:08+00:00
Medical School, 1887
5
plain
2020-10-19T23:42:53+00:00
For its first 4 years, the Dental School was housed in the Medical School (1887) building. -
1
2025-11-11T20:43:14+00:00
Medical School, 1887
3
Medical School, 1887
plain
2025-11-24T15:37:29+00:00
southeast corner of East 9th Street and St. Clair AvenueLocation
Description
4-story mill construction, exterior of Twinsburg brown sandstone, roof of Lake Superior slate; 97x104 feet, containing labs, offices, and classrooms
Constructed
1885-1887
Razed
1929
Architect
Coburn and Barnum
Cost
1887: $240,000
1929: $7,052.50 for Cushing Laboratory, Medical School, 1887, and Physiological Laboratory
Financing
Gift of $240,000 from John L. Woods; Gift of land from Nathan Perry
Occupants
1887-1924: School of Medicine
1892-1896: School of Dentistry
1924-1929: Vacant
Uses
1887-1924: Research, teaching, offices
1924-1929: None
Ceremonies
Dedication: 3/8/1887
Trivia
Last downtown home of the School of Medicine
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
Previous Building A-Z List Next Building | Previous Building Chronological List Next Building