Case Western Reserve University Archives

Warner & Swasey Observatory

Location
1975 Taylor Road, East Cleveland, Ohio

Description
Concrete-steel construction finished in red brick and stone trimmings, containing observatory, reception room, library, laboratories, apartment, darkroom, offices
This property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.

Formal Names
Warner & Swasey Observatory

Named For
Worcester R. Warner, trustee
Ambrose Swasey, trustee            


Constructed
ca. 1919-1920

Architect
Walker and Weeks


Cost   
1916: $8,250 for land
1920: $87,000 

Financing
1916: ?
1920: Gift of unknown amount from Worcester R. Warner, trustee and Ambrose Swasey, trustee
Occupants
1920-1949+: Case Astronomy Dept.

Uses
1920-1949+: Research and teaching, library, residence, offices
Ceremonies
Dedication: 10/12/1920
Dedication of Mural of the Solar System: 1/30/1948

Trivia
First formally named Case building
Alterations and Modifications

Description
1941: Dome, telescope, exhibition space, and auditorium; exterior of pressed brick with stone trim

Named For
Worcester R. Warner, trustee (auditorium)
Edward P. Burrell, friend (telescope)

Architect
Walker and Weeks

General Contractor
The Gillmore-Carmichael-Olson Co.

Cost
$127,285.22

Financing
Gifts of $90,000 from Cornelia and Helen Warner, friends; Gift of $32,000 from Katherine W. Burrell, friend; Gifts of $15,000 in cash plus $10,000 in-kind services from Warner & Swasey Company; Gifts of equipment from Fred Dorn and Mrs. Philip Dorn, friends; Gift of $20,000 from Eckstein Case, trustee; Gifts of $1,000 and less from various donors

Ceremonies
Dedication: 12/17/1941

This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.

Previous Building   A-Z List   Next Building | Previous Building   Chronological List   Next Building

This page references: