Case Western Reserve University ArchivesMain MenuAthleticsThis page provides an explanation for and an index to the Athletics section of the websiteBuildings and GroundsThis page provides an explanation for and an index to the Buildings and Grounds section of the websiteCelebrating 200 Years of CWRUThis page provides an explanation for and an index to the Celebrating 200 Years of CWRU section of the websiteOrganization, Governance, and SymbolsThis page provides an explanation for and an index to the Organization, Governance, and Symbols section of the websitePeople of CWRUThis page provides an explanation for and an index to the People of CWRU section of the websiteUniversity Life and EventsThis page provides an explanation for and an index to the University Life and Events section of the websiteAbout This SiteSite development, scope, purpose, and contributorsCWRU Archives Staffec4500175310e554b76925ae682e5e2e81cf14db
Description 3 stories plus basement; 45,185 square feet, containing classrooms, offices, libraryThis property continued in use after 1949. Post-1949 research is not yet completed.
Formal Name Thwing Hall
Named For Charles F. Thwing, WRU president
Other Names Euclid Avenue, 11111 Excelsior Club
Cost 1929: $650,000
Financing 1929: LoanOccupants 1929-1933: WRU 1934-1949+?: University Library 1934-1949+?: School of Library Science
Uses 1929-1933: ? 1934-1949+: Classes, offices, libraryBought 1929: from Excelsior Club Board of GovernorsCeremonies Dedication: 11/9/1934
Trivia First WRU university-wide library building
Alterations and Modifications
Description 1934: Converted building to library
Financing Gift of $25,000 from the Case Library Trustees
This summary was compiled by staff of the University Archives from sources in the custody of the Archives.
12024-09-27T15:28:07+00:00Thwing Hall, exterior, west and south sides1Thwing Hall, exterior, west and south sides, 1934-19572024-09-27T15:28:07+00:00CWRU ArchivesunknownThwing Hall001271934-1957Hastings & Willinger[Places]