Did You Know?For 111 years of its existence, at least one of Case Western Reserve University's schools was located in downtown Cleveland.
Seven of Case Western Reserve University's schools began in downtown Cleveland.
The University's shortest-lived school, the School of Art, affiliated with Western Reserve University from 1888-1891, was located in (old) City Hall on Superior Avenue.
In 1888, the first year of its affiliation with Western Reserve University, the Cleveland Conservatory of Music, offered 5 courses to 254 students in the Clarence Building on Euclid Avenue.
OverviewThis section provides images of interior classroom, laboratory, and staff work spaces, exterior and aerial photographs of buildings, a timeline of the University's downtown presence, and a simplified map of building locations.
For 5 of the 7 schools that began downtown (School of Medicine, School of Pharmacy, School of Dentistry, Case School of Applied Science and Cleveland College), facts, as well as the sentiments and experiences of the students and staff that learned and worked in these locations, are conveyed through correspondence, snapshots of enrollment and tuition statistics, illustrations from yearbooks and student publications, and university brochures.
Related information about the move of Western Reserve College from Hudson to Cleveland is available in the seven-part archived blog post series, "Hudson to Cleveland" written by archives staff.
The University Downtown exhibit was researched by University Archives staff and published on the Archives original website in October and November 2005.