Case Western Reserve University Archives

Buildings and Grounds of Case, WRU and CWRU (1882-1949)

The staff of the University Archives has compiled summaries of information about buildings and grounds used by Case Institute of Technology and Western Reserve University, 1882-1949. All sources used are in the CWRU Archives and may be consulted in the Archives.

This list is a chronological index, arranged by use dates, to the individual buildings and grounds summaries. The list includes:

Building IdentifiersDerived from a controlled vocabulary created by the University Archives
DatesFirst and last years of documented Case or WRU control of the space and use for non-investment purposes
If it is known that the building was in use after 1949, the last date is 1949+
TriviaFirsts, lasts, leasts, mosts, and other minutiae to inform, amuse, surprise

An alphabetical index, arranged by building identifier, is also available.

Information in the summaries includes:

Peopleassociated with the buildings, including architects, general contractors, donors, occupants
Datesof significant events, including construction, alterations, demolition, purchase, sale, ceremonies
Namesformal and popular
Descriptionsimages, locations, size, architectural style
Usesfunctions carried out in the buildings
Financescosts and funding sources

Information is included only during the time period that a particular building/space was under University control.
Investment properties are not included.
Some information about some buildings is not available.
Unknown data is indicated by a question mark (?).

 

 IdentifierDates UsedTrivia
1840Medical School, 18461846-1885First WRU building in Cleveland
1880Adelbert Main Building1882-1949+First WRU building in University Circle
 Cutler Hall1882-1949+First WRU President's residence
 Pierce Hall1882-1949+First WRU men's dormitory
 Observatory, 18831883-?First University Circle observatory
 Privy1883-?Only documented University outhouse in University Circle
 Case Main Building1885-1949+First Case building in University Circle
 Medical School, 18871887-1929Last downtown home of the School of Medicine
 Chemical Laboratory, 18871887-1949+First Case building relocated
 Ford House1888-1925First home to more CWRU schools than any other building
 Clarence Building1888-1895Only home of WRU's Music Conservatory
 Adelbert Gym, 18881888-1949+First WRU men's gym
1890Clarke Field1891-1949+First WRU athletic field
 Mechanical Laboratory1892-1928First Case building designed by Coburn and Barnum
 Bellflower Road, 111091892-1949+Longest continuous WRU President's residence
 Chemical Laboratory, 18921892-1949+ 
 Clark Hall for Liberal Arts1892-1949+First Mather College classroom building constructed
 Guilford House1892-1949+First WRU women's dormitory constructed
 Physics Building1894-1949+First WRU building designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth
 Electrical Laboratory1895-1949+Third Case department, Electrical Engineering, to have its own building
 Bangor Building1896-1910First building used solely by School of Dentistry
 Adelbert Road, 21451896-1949+First building constructed for School of Law
 Hatch Library1896-1956First Adelbert College library building
 Astronomical Observatory1897-1920First Case building razed
 Eldred Hall1897-1949+First Adelbert College student center
 Physiological Laboratory1898-1929Third School of Medicine building
 DeGrace Hall1899-1949+Longest gap between construction and formal naming (102 years)
1900Harkness Chapel1901-1949+First campus church constructed
 Van Horn Field1901-1949+First Case athletic field
 Haydn Hall1902-1949+First Mather College student center
 Rockefeller Mining
and Metallurgy
1905-1949+Second vertical addition to a campus building
 Rockefeller Physics1906-1949+ 
 Camp Case, 19071907-1907First off-campus survey camp
 Mather Gym1907-1949+First WRU women's gym constructed
 Camp Case, 19081908-1908 
 Gas Building1908-1910First downtown home of WRU's School of Pharmacy
 Cushing Laboratory1908-1929First WRU building named for a faculty member
 Camp Case, 19091909-1909 
1910Camp Case, 19101910-1910 
 East 9th Street, 24501910-1917Last downtown home of School of Dentistry
 Ohio Wesleyan Medical
School Building
1910-1920First University building acquired as a result of a merger
 Morley Chemistry Laboratory1910-1949+Second WRU building named for a faculty member
 Raymond House1910-1949+Longest continuous Case President's residence
 Camp Case, 19111911-1912 
 Stone Chapel1911-1949+Last campus church constructed
 Camp Case, 19131913-1916 
 Cummington Road,
2256 & 2258
1913-1937 
 Case Club1913-1949+First Case student center
 Mather Memorial Building1913-1949+Last WRU building designed by Charles F. Schweinfurth
 Mather House1915-1949+Third Mather College dormitory
 Camp Case, 19171917-1917 
 Adelbert Road, 21171917-1949+First WRU-owned residence converted to a classroom
 Dental School1917-1949+First University Circle building constructed for School of Dentistry
 Barracks #11918-1919 
 Barracks #21918-1919 
 Elysium1918-1919 
 Mess Hall1918-1919First WRU cafeteria building
 Euclid Avenue, 114621918-1921 
 Camp Case, 19181918-1936First Case survey camp equipped with cabins
 Adelbert Road, 2051/20791919-1927First WRU building relocated
 Adelbert Gym, 19191919-1949+Third WRU gym
1920Adelbert Road, 2087​​​​​​​1920-1927Second WRU building relocated
 Adelbert Road, 2029/20451920-1949Last University Circle home of School of Pharmacy
 Warner & Swasey Observatory1920-1949+First formally named Case building
 Adelbert Road, 2023/20411921-1949+ 
 East 100th Street, 20601923-1928First School of Education residence
 Cornell Road, 20391923-1949+First home of WRU President, Robert Vinson
 Animal House, 19241924-1943+Second University Circle School of Medicine building
 Adelbert Road, 20571924-1949+First home of School of Nursing
 Wood Building1924-1949+First University Circle School of Medicine building
 East 93rd Street, 19491925-1928Second School of Education residence
 Euclid Avenue, 19351925-1929First Cleveland College building
 Reserve Manor1925-1929Third School of Nursing residence
 Ether Drift Research House1926-1937 
 Health Service Building1926-1949+First WRU infirmary building
 Power House1926-1949+First building constructed jointly by WRU and University Hospitals of Cleveland
 Psychology Laboratory1926-1949+ 
 Electric Building1927-1929First School of Applied Social Sciences downtown building
 Abington Road, 20441927-1930 
 East 96th Street, 20501927-1930 
 Euclid Avenue, 110151927-1930First University Circle home of WRU's School of Architecture
 Adelbert Road, 20351927-1949+First WRU Faculty Club
 Adelbert Road, 20631927-1949+ 
 Adelbert Road, 21211927-1949+First WRU building connected to another via a passageway
 Bellflower Road, 112171927-1949+Last home of School of Education
 Bingham Mechanical
Engineering
1927-1949+First Case building designed by Wilbur Watson
 Hitchcock Hall1927-1949+ 
 Mather Athletic Field, 19271927-1949+First Mather College athletic field
 Abington Road, 20561928-1933First School of Library Science residence
 Abington Road, 20581928-1933First School of Applied Social Sciences residence
 Abington Road, 20961928-1933 
 Stearns Road, 20601928-1936First home of School of Education
 Abington Road, 20901928-1942 
 Abington Road, 21181928-1948 
 Abington Road, 21241928-1949+ 
 Abington Road, 21301928-1949+ 
 Abington Road, 21341928-1949+ 
 Adelbert Road, 21251928-1949+Second WRU-owned residence converted to a classroom
 Adelbert Road, 21311928-1949+ 
 Cornell Place, 116221928-1949+ 
 Flora Stone Mather House1928-1949+ 
 Warner Building1928-1949+First Case Trustee for whom two buildings were formally named
 Abington Road, 20501929-1933 
 Adelbert Road, 21011929-1937 
 Abington Road, 21141929-1943 
 Garfield House1929-1945 
 Adelbert Road, 20691929-1949+ 
 Adelbert Road, 20731929-1949+ 
 Baker Building, 19421929-1949+First WRU building named for Newton D. Baker
 Carlton Road, 118931929-1949+Last home of WRU President Robert Vinson
 Cornell Place, 116231929-1949+ 
 Cornell Road, 21151929-1949+ 
 Pathology1929-1949+ 
 Thwing Hall1929-1949+First WRU university-wide library building
1930Adelbert Road, 20251930-? 
 Abington Road, 20701930-1933 
 Abington Road, 20451930-1941 
 Abington Road, 20261930-1942 
 Abington Road, 20331930-1942 
 Abington Road, 20391930-1942 
 Abington Road, 20691930-1949 
 Abington Road, 20731930-1949 
 Abington Road, 21211930-1949+ 
 Adelbert Road, 21071930-1949+ 
 Animal House, 19301930-1949+ 
 Bellflower Road, 110391930-1949+ 
 Euclid Hall1930-1949+ 
 Harvey House1930-1949+ 
 Lowman House1930-1949+ 
 Robb House1930-1949+ 
 Squire Valleevue Farm1930-1949+WRU's only working farm
 New York Central Athletic Field1931-1949+ 
 Service Building1931-1949+ 
 Abington Road, 21081933-1943 
 Manor House1935-1949+ 
 Tyler House1936-1949+First of two buildings named for Marion Clark Tyler
 May Squire House1937-1948 
 Camp Case, 19371937-1949+Last off-campus survey camp
 Pink Pig1938-1949+First University animal housing converted to human housing
 Smith Chemical Engineering1939-1949+First Case building financed by a loan
1940Society for Savings Building1941-1942 
 Boulevard House1941-1949+ 
 Western Reserve
Historical Society
1942-1943 
 Fairmount Boulevard, 25301942-1949+ 
 Church of the Covenant1943-1944 
 Navy Dormitory1943-1947 
 Perkins House1943-1949+First WRU building formally named for a female faculty member
 Smith House, 19431943-1949+First WRU building formally named for a dean
 Bellflower Road, 112351944-1949+ 
 Williamson House1944-1949+First WRU building formally named for an alumnus
 Bellflower Road, 114181945-1949+ 
 Bellflower Road, 11418 Coach House1945-1949+ 
 Bellflower Road, 114211945-1949+ 
 Bellflower Road, 114301945-1949+ 
 Auditorium Garage Building1946-1949+ 
 Women's Federal Building1946-1949+ 
 Blackacre Trailer Camp1947-1949+First and only WRU trailer park
 Davis Building1947-1949+First WRU building formally named for a staff member
 Engineers Building1947-1949+ 
 Government Building1947-1949+ 
 Standard Building1947-1949+Last downtown Cleveland College building
 Tomlinson Hall1947-1949+Last Case student center
 University Cafeteria1947-1949+First permanent WRU cafeteria building
 Bellflower Road, 112011948-1949+ 
 Mather Athletic Field, 19481948-1949+ 
 Temporary Building1948-1949+Last University classroom/office building without plumbing
1950Baker Building, 19571957-2004First University building razed in the 21st century